Arrive in Ibiza Town and you’re instantly overcome by the urge to slow down and soak up that special atmosphere. And, even if you think you know ‘the town’ — as islanders call it — there’s always something new to discover. Although Ibiza Town is tiny, an entire day and night here can pass in what feels like the blink of an eye.
You could start your day at the port, choose a narrow street of dazzlingly whitewashed buildings at random and stroll to the tiny old market. Croissant Show, next to the market and at the foot of the ramp leading up to the Dalt Vila is the perfect place to enjoy a flaky croissant or healthy breakfast with your coffee and contemplate the day to come. Especially if you’re exploring in summer, it’s wise to explore the UNESCO World Heritage Site that is Dalt Vila, the ancient upper town, before lunch.
Inside the ancient walls of Dalt Villa, the Museum of Contemporary Art, Ibiza Town Castle and Santa Maria Cathedral are all fascinating. After you’ve feasted on Ibiza’s piquant cultural heritage, choose from one of the many restaurants that line Dalt Vila’s streets. One of our favourite restaurants inside Dalt Vila is that temple to creative fusion cuisine La Dispensa. But it’s your choice. Before you make your way down from Dalt Villa, be sure to take in the view of the Mediterranean from the ramparts.
If it’s summer and you have your swimming things with you, you may wish to while away the hottest part of the day in the rocky cove at Los Molinos. This is where locals go to swim and take a siesta in their lunch break and after work. It’s just minutes away from Ibiza Town centre.
Relaxed and refreshed, you might like to head for the winding, cobbled streets of Sa Penya, once home to the local fishermen. Here’s where you’ll find the most intriguing hippy stalls, restaurants and bars, including legendary Bar 1805.
As the sun begins to go down, Ibiza Town comes alive. The air is rich with music, delicious aromas drifting out from the multitude of restaurants and the fragrance of bougainvillea.
When it comes to restaurants, you’re spoilt for choice. If tapas appeals, we love bustling, authentic La Bodega, close by the ramp up to Dalt Vila and boasting one of the most mouthwatering menus anywhere.
If cocktails, music and maybe a little dancing appeal to you, The Standard with its tres hip rooftop bar is just a few minutes walk away.
Should you wish to venture a little further afield, there’s sensual cabaret at Lío Ibiza — emblematic Pacha’s sophisticated sister — just across the bay from the town. Or, if you fancy something a little more full-on, Playa d’en Bossa offers dc10, ultra-glam Ushuaia and Nassau Beach Club, among other temptations.
1) Playa S’Estanyol, just eight kilometres from Ibiza Town, is a tranquil beach home to the laidback Cala Bonita restaurant.
2) Ses Salines epitomises Ibiza beach bar culture. Take our tip and stroll along the curved white sand beach to Sa Trinxa, voted one of the world’s best.
3) Playa d’en Bossa is a classic sandy Ibiza beach popular with ravers recharging their batteries and working on their suntan. If you’re in the mood for some gentle partying, Tanit Beach is, in its own words, ‘elegantly chilled’.
4) Los Molinos is Ibiza Town’s authentic locals’ beach where we go to swim and siesta during our summer lunch break or after work before the night begins again.
5) Cala Olivera, reached via Roca Llisa, is a handkerchief-sized beach with a deep cove and crystal clear water perfect for snorkelling and rock jumping. Classic Chiringuita Cala Olivera is legendary for its fresh fish.
As Ibiza’s most trusted and recommended real estate agent, we offer the island’s most exclusive portfolio of luxury homes for sale and to rent for the holiday of a lifetime. Our portfolio includes homes in the highly sought after hills around Ibiza Town.
We are people from elsewhere who fell in love with Ibiza and have chosen to live and work here with our families. Our love for the island has driven us to connect with the island, its people and culture. It’s our mission to help you discover what you need to become an active member of the island community so you can help shape its future if you choose. Please, speak to us.